Ok, so admittedly these two movies have about as much in common as chalk and cheese. Nevertheless, they’re both the very dictionary definition of classics in their respective genres. So you’d like to think that when transported over to the world of online slots, they’d bring something truly epic to the table.
The question being…are we really looking at a couple of new blockbusters in the making?
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Not to be confused with Spamalot…which is a pretty epic yet entirely different game…Monty Python and the Holy Grail comes fresh from the folks at Playtech and uses the usual for five-reel setup with a total of 30 paylines to play for. Spins start out from as little as 30p each and go up to a whopping £750 for those looking to really splash the cash. And as usual, it’s compatible with pretty much all desktop and mobile devices across the board.
Bringing all the gorgeous sights and sounds of the iconic movie along for the ride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail features most of the main characters from the film as well as the usual playing card values. King Arthur is particularly valuable during normal play, being worth 1,000 coins if you manage to line up five in a row. Then there’s the wild Monty Python and the Holy Grail symbol, which by landing three, four or five at the same time will see you walking away with 150, 600 or a generous 5,000 coins.
As for the second wild, that’s the Holy Grail itself – quite literally – and needs to be landed in quantities of three or more. Doing so will pay out the same prizes as those of the other wild, though in this instance the wild travels across the reels and creates new wilds all over the place.
The scatter symbol takes the form of a coat of arms and needs to arrive on the first, third and fifth reels at the same time to start the Quest of Camelot Free Games feature. When it does, there are three free spins modes available, from which you will choose one a random by selecting a shield. Depending on which of the options you choose, you will be provided with a handful of free spins and any number of modifiers, which include:
The Castle of the Britons Modifiers
- French invaders fart in your general direction to bring additional reels into play. The French catapult adds further wilds to the real, the Trojan rabbit brings stacked wilds into play and the Nuns of Castle Anthrax lock wild symbols in place.
The Forest of Bravery Modifiers
- The Knights Who Say ‘Ni’ bring additional random wilds into play, Brave Sir Robin does a runner and adds stacked wilds to the reels, the Three-Headed Knight brings four additional wilds into play and the infamous Black Knight appears in the form of four wild symbols
The Cave of Caerbannog Modifiers
- The Killer Rabbit adds a bunch of sticky wilds to the reels, Tim brings explosive locked wilds into play, the Black Beast of Arrrgh adds stacked wilds to the action and the iconic Holy Hand Grenade creates a whole grid of wild symbols.
If it all comes across as a little complicated on paper, it’s actually pretty easy and seriously enjoyable once you get into it. The only slight downside is that the number of free spins handed out isn’t massively generous, but you usually end up with so many modifiers on the go at the same time that sizeable prizes are possible. And given the fact that it is a medium variance experience, chances are Monty Python and the Holy Grail will appeal to just about any type of gamer.
As for Robocop, Playtech has delivered another exceptional five-reel slot with 25 paylines to play for, which is of course based on the 1987 blockbuster that spawned a quite extraordinary franchise. Spins are available from 25p right up to £250, and just like its counterpart above, bonus features come thick and fast to say the least.
For example, there are four bonus features that can trigger randomly at any time during normal play, which look a little like this:
- Shootout Spin feature – a gun fires a bunch of wild symbols randomly all over the reels.
- Robot Attack Spin feature – a huge wild in the form of an ED-209 symbol makes its way into play.
- Line-Up Spin feature – a generous multiplier of different values is added to every winning combination.
- OCP Bonus feature – an enjoyable pick-me round with various instant cash payouts available.
The scatter symbol takes the form of the famed Robocop police badge – you’ll need to score three at the same time on the first, third and fifth reels to trigger the bonus feature menu. Here, you’ll have the option of choosing from four different bonus features, which are as follows:
- Shootout Free Games feature – try your luck with 10 free spins along with a bunch of additional wilds with every free game.
- Robot Attack Free Games feature – the enormous ED-209 wild symbol is added to the middle three reels and you’re awarded five free spins.
- Line-Up Free Games feature – two multipliers of different values are applied to every winning combination, with a total of 15 free spins to play with.
- OCP Mega Bonus feature – a pick-me round with four different levels, cash prizes increasing with the more progress you make.
Once again, Robocop is a medium variance game and therefore should cater to most tastes across the board. And with such an extraordinary array of bonus features to play for, it’s definitely the kind of slot that has serious long-term playability.